In 1956 Mr. Luis Fragío Babío suggested they acquire the new headquarters of Pescaderías Coruñesas owned by Mr. Norberto García, Mr. Santiago Gómez’s brother in law, the muleteer who started La Astorgana in 1890. At the time sales levels were low, so the purchase was a risky venture which also involved taking on the eight members of the workforce. Some years later, he married Mss. María Rosa, Mr. Santiago’s daughter, and they together took over the business when Mr. Santiago retired.
From the union of this couple, on June 9th 1933 Mr. Evaristo García Gómez was born in Combarros, León. To begin with, he was in charge of dispensing the fish products to the clients. When he was 14, he switched to taking the fish market phone orders. From the age of 19, Evaristo focussed on improving his professional development and working more independently, although it was not possible at that time. This changed at the age of 23 when his father, Mr. Norberto Garcia, bought Pescaderías Coruñesas from Mr Luis Fragío Babío.
The evolution and adaptation to its clients’ needs were gradually consolidating Pescaderías Coruñesas’ success. The number of clients increased and they were not only from Madrid but from other areas of Spain, making the enterprise a national one for the sales of fish and seafood, even setting guidelines for an export trade.